Easier Annulment for Filipinos

You are a Filipino. You are married to a foreign spouse. You want annulment (or nullification of marriage).

Annulment, Philippines, Law Firm

If your spouse's country of citizenship allows for divorce, let her or him file the divorce in her or his home country. According to the Family Code:

Where a marriage between a Filipino citizen and a foreigner is validly celebrated and a divorce is thereafter validly obtained abroad by the alien spouse capacitating him or her to remarry, the Filipino spouse shall have capacity to remarry under Philippine law. (2nd Par. Art. 26)

Once you get the divorce decree, file for recognition of the decree before the Regional Trial Court. The trial court judgement will be used to request the National Statistics Office (NSO) to change your marital status. Once done, you can marry again.

This is a better route than the longer and uncertain nullification procedure in the Philippines, which may take years, considering that the government's current policy is to elevate annulment and nullification cases all the way to the Supreme Court.

Respicio & Co. Law Firm can handle your case. We collaborate with foreign lawyers to get the divorce decree. You do not have to engage a foreign lawyer. We will take care of everything, from procuring the divorce decree from the foreign country to changing your marital status with the NSO.